Total Pageviews

Saturday 28 January 2012

Birthday Roses

Well the good news is I finally sorted out the 'add a button' issue..persistence pays off!

When I make cards for commissions, I ask for some ideas about what the recipient likes; some are more specific than others and I have to say sometimes I'm tempted to say 'if you want that kind of card, you need Moonpig or similar (ouch!) not me', but  I usually grin and bear it and do my best (I've only refused a couple and maybe I should refuse more?).

However, sometimes I get requests that allow me to really create a card that is a proper handcrafted design and a joy to make...yesterday's Vintage design was a good example, in fact most of the cards I upload here are.... and so is today's Birthday Roses...


I wasn't sure about the colours when I started out with this card, but green was one of the recipients likes and along with the roses was my starting point...and as the card progressed, I really liked it.

The base green was from 'Matchmakers' Brights 12x12 textured card. The colours in this pad are gorgeous and have been really useful. I bought it some time ago in my local 'craft heaven' Out of the Blue (Chipping Sodbury) and I use it very often, so couldn't understand why it seems to be everlasting...and then I twigged! I don't use it in my Cricut because it has a white core. Card with a white core will dull the blade more quickly and quite often will tear as it cuts. 

Anyone reading this and just starting out in card making please don't think that 12x12 is just for scrap booking! It is very cost effective for us card makers, you get much more out of it than A4!

Back to the card...The dark green card was from the same pad and the rose patterned paper was from my scrapbook stash.It's gorgeous and had been patiently waiting for a card just like this one. I added pearl dots all around the dark green card using Olympia Gold Cosmic Shimmer and then die cut the heart squares using the Spellbinders die of the same name, using the darker green card and a pale yellow from the same pad.

I confess that the design using this die isn't original, I first saw it demonstrated on a card made by Sue Wilson(Particraft) and loved it. The great thing with Spellbinders is playing around with intertwining the dies and using them to compliment each other. 

The roses were my favourite aspect of this card...I made them from a cream felt using the Spellbinders Spiral Blossom One die. This die is a joy to use with paper, material and especially felt. The end result is a rose that both looks and feels gorgeous. I added some leaves from a pre-cut pack by Creative Expressions. To balance the card I finished off with a flourish in the top left corner, using Cosmic Shimmer Pearl PVA.

What do you think?
Carole X

No comments:

Post a Comment