Total Pageviews

Sunday 5 February 2012

Valentine Door Wreath - 5th February

Hand decorated
St Valentine
door wreath
Morning!


I think it must be from my American family and the times I have spent with them, that quite a few of the American craft and traditional home decor styles have 'rubbed' off on me. I subscribe to their "Papercrafts' and 'Country Sampler' magazines and have done so for many years.

Many Americans love to decorate their houses with a year round door wreath, which changes with the season or for a 'Holiday' /festival and I have also done this for as long as I can remember.  Over here, there is a tradition of lovely Christmas door wreaths building up, but I would really like to see us embrace this all year! I see door wreaths as very welcoming and I get lots of compliments about my door, so come on...join me!

My January wreath was really just my Christmas one ( a large willow ring decorated with winter berries), with a change of ribbon from Christmas red to winter white..so I'll save that to share with you next Christmas. This year I am going to refresh my wreaths and intend to create a series of new ones...starting with St Valentine's for February!

Close up of roses and ribbons
I already had the basic twiggy heart, which I bought at a craft fair some years ago. I made the ribbon roses, following instructions from Sue Wilson (see Creative Expressions site or Particraft blog). They aren't perfect, the ribbon was a bit wide, but they still look quite  effective. I then sewed the roses on to the wreath and added two lengths of voile ribbon tied in a double bow. This is probably the simplest of my wreaths, I don'y think St Valentines should be fussy and have aimed to keep it that way. The 'Live, Love, Laugh' ribbon is from stock; it's one of those ribbons I love to keep and use a little when required...in other words, can't bear to part with it!

This wreath will stay on the door through February, when it will be time to welcome in the Spring months....

Full view of heart on our door




No comments:

Post a Comment