Total Pageviews

Saturday 21 July 2012

Highlighter Project - Saturday 21st July

Good Morning Blog Friends!


Here's hoping we all get a lovely - dry - weekend! I'm really hoping today stays fine as we are off to see Alfie Boe in concert at Westonbirt Arboretum (Tetbury) tonight. Somehow the romantic vision of a picnic on a beautiful evening, in wonderful woodland surroundings, listening to my favourite singer has been ever so slightly tinged by our "Summer' so far!


Today's post is something new to me; it's a project by Paula Whitaker in this month's Craft Stamper magazine that I just had to try - and I really like it, so will certainly be using it in some of my cards from now on!


It's actually a simple technique to create quite a background that actually gives quite a rich, even luminous effect.


To create the background you need:


White card
Highlighter pens (the ones we all have in our drawers!)
Distress Ink
Cut-n-Dry Foam
Sandpaper
heat tool


I used a square of white card and coloured it all over with yellow highlighter pen and then inked the whole card with Vintage Photo and Cut-n-Dry foam, making the edges much darker. In her project, Paula used Walnut Stain, but I didn't have any of that colour and I do really like Vintage Photo, use whatever colour you prefer. Following the magazine project, once I had covered with the ink,I dried it off with the heat tool and then sanded the card in one direction to create a rough surface, before going back over it with the distress ink. The effect is a rough cover over the highlighter.


Next I stamped over the card with a bird silhouette stamp by Artemio: this effect works really well  with floral or foliage silhouettes especially. To finish off I cut some Tim Holz film strip ribbon and sewed it across the top, then added a little metal Shamrock charm and a sentiment stamp by Creative Expressions and inked around the edges of the card with the distress ink...this card blank is actually cream by the way, it just looks white in the photo!


Next time I'll try a different colour highlighter...


Thanks for stopping by,
Carole X

3 comments:

  1. This is lovely and has a rustic feel! I also saw this in the magazine, must give it a try! Enjoy your weekend.x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Oksana, you have a good weekend too! Give it a go, it's easy and the actual card looks much more effective than the photo xx

      Delete
  2. Oooh I like this technique Carole - think I will give it a go. It seems so effective. I have quite a few of the silhouette type stamps so this has given me something new to do with them.

    Thanks loads.

    Hugs Sue P xx

    ReplyDelete