Total Pageviews

Wednesday 12 March 2014

Zentangle revisited - Wednesday 12th March 2014

Good Morning Blog Friends!

I do get blog withdrawal (lol), when I haven't been here for a few days or more and hopefully will be back to normal blogging patterns next week..I'm having a great week off  work; loving being in the craft room, busily preparing for the craft fair Saturday (today is going to be a sewing day), but I can't believe that it is already Wednesday.

I have been managing to get around most of your blogs and leaving comments, if I have missed you - a thousand apologies! I did notice that quite a few of you mentioned that you went to the craft show at the NEC last weekend and were disappointed by the fewer exhibitors etc...I have a theory of my own about this...I used to go to the NEC November show regularly, but always found it way too crowded. Then  about four years ago, Tom and I decided to try the Alexandra Palace show, mostly because we could factor in a weekend in London. It was smaller; I love stamping, so all the major stamping companies were there and I loved it! We decided not to go to Birmingham any more and have been to Ally Pally ever since. 

Last year, they sold tickets for the first time on C&C and all of a sudden, the show was as busy as the NEC and not nearly as fulfilling as previously. We are going in April, but I've noticed on the list of exhibitors that quite a few 'names' are missing, so I'll let you know! But I actually think that there are too many shows now..I'm seeing them advertised all the time and only the massive companies, can afford to attend them all... It's gone from one show a year at the NEC and Ally Pally, to virtually one a month! 

It's getting a bit of a case of same old..same old...isn't it? Or is it just me? There is one big Company, that I go out of my way not to buy from, that seems to dominate, which never attends Ally Pally, so that's something at least! Creative Expressions organises it, so it's mostly stamping, die cutting and altered art and I hope it stays that way!

We actually feel quite 'deprived' down in the Southwest - we have a few shows at Exeter (which somehow I never manage to get to) and that's it really; but then most of the companies are from the North, I guess. Let's hope that when Bristol eventually gets its arena, things will change!

Anyway, this was going to be a short post! See I have got blog withdrawal! Ha! On to the card....


I still have several Zentangle cards from when we did the workshops, that I haven't posted as yet - so today is my owl. 

For the owl, I simply drew around a circular Spellbinders die for the outer shape and a smaller one for the eyes, the rest I created myself. I actually prefer the freehand style to using stamps and stencils, but you have to be in the mood and this one did take rather a long time. 

I used an 8x8 card and decided to create a bit of a wacky shape, just for fun! The flowers and leaves are cut from Spellbinders dies and just given the Zentangle treatment!  So that's it for today, no special materials, stamps etc...just a shape to draw around and a pen!

Have a good day everyone! No WOYWW for me again: you really don't want to see my desk at the moment...no really you don't!

Love and Hugs,
Carole X

18 comments:

  1. Oh wow this is just stunning Carole. I am thinking of venturing into zentangling and this is such an inspiration. Hope you don't mind, but I just have to share this on Facebook as I have two very good friends (I know in real life) that would really appreciate this. xxx
    Hugs
    Desíre
    {Doing Life – my personal blog}

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning from a sunny Perthshire,
    Love, love, love your stunning card.
    I love Zentangle, I have had a go. My efforts were not nearly as effective as yours.
    Will have to practice a LOT more.
    Hazel and I had thought of trying to get to Ally Pally.
    Getting there, finding our way around, good accommodation etc:- scared us "country bumpkins"
    Hope you have fantastic time when you go.
    Have a great day

    Patricia xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean as we live in a small town and generally I prefer being out of the city, but I do love to explore London once or twice a year and Ally Pally, is beautiful, with lovely grounds and views of the City...you can't imagine you are so close to it. They run free buses from the tube station (takes about 5 minutes)...love it! Glad you liked the card, it was my favourite of all my recent Zentangles! X

      Delete
  3. Gorgeous card Carole. The owl is really fabulous!

    I know what you mean about the big craft shows. There is a much smaller one held every two or three months at the National Motorcycle which is close to the NEC. Only £3 entry, free parking and not crowded. It is only about an hour from me and since there are no craft shops anyway near me I tend to use this as my local craft store. Lol! But the NEC is great for meeting up with my blog friends!

    Glad you are enjoying your break from work. Hugs Christine xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. lol, i'm lucky, my friend Amy sells fab crafty goodies in her shop locally! X

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous Zentangle owl Carole and love the shape if your card...I know what you mean about the shows the nearest decent size show to me is Westpoint, Exeter.... Shepton Mallet not bad either but smaller

    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Carole,
    Love your card, so so original, stunning.
    Lydia
    X

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE your zentangled card Carole, all the more because it is your own design and construction. It really is beautiful.

    I will never go to the NEC again, my friend Mo and I went last year, one and half hours drive and they charged us £10 to park, on top of the cost of the tickets! We are going to Harrogate show this weekend(it is usually very good) and then calling in at Art from the Heart because Dyan Reaveley is doing taster classes, she is lovely to watch. I would love to go to Ally Pally again, I personally think it is one of the best.

    Enjoy the rest of your time off and hope the Fair goes well at the weekend. Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fabulous card Carole , was watching a demo on it at the SECC on Saturday. Glad you are enjoying your time off. Hazel xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Carole,
    now your talking one of my languages OWLS, and a Zentangle one at that. I love, love, love, love, this superb creation. You are a very clever lady. I had to call my husband to look at this superb creation, and he was very impressed with you beautiful work.
    Although I live in the heart of Kent they very rarely have any such shows here, as they do up North. the only one I can think of is Farnborough. I went to the NEC last March and am going this year. What I do is visit my sister in South Wales, and we go on a coach organized by a craft club that uses the same hall she has her beading classes in. The cost is £14-50 for the coach and the entrance fee into the NEC, so I think we get a bargain.
    Lots of crafty love. Jenny L.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry forgot to say hope your craft fair goes well on the weekend.
    Lots of crafty love. Jenny L.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Carole, glad to hear that you're having a good week. Your card is fabulous as always. I adore the owl, it looks so impressive! I also really like the shape of the card, especially with that brilliant border!
    Rebecca.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow Carole!! I love your card!! I sheepishly have to admit that I had never heard of Zentangle until I read your post...and I don't think it's something I could do but never say never and if I ever get some free time to have a go, I will. If you have any tips...that would be great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Vikki, I will post another of my Zentangle cards over the next few days and add some links and tips! Thank you! X

      Delete
  13. Hi Carole, really fab card, especially love the fact you created him from scratch & the shape of the card makes him look really quirky! Bringing my friend Julie along to Ally Pally so really looking forward to that. As I'm used to trade craft fairs it will be good to see things from a different perspective for a change.
    Good luck at the craft fair today, I'm sure your items will sell like hot cakes. Will pop in & see you.
    Amy x

    ReplyDelete
  14. SUCH a great post!! love hearing all about your news. : )

    Your card is wonderful! really really amazing! When will I stop being a chicken and try Zentangle?! I think it is especially nice that you "tangled" your flowers and made your card shape wacky!

    I hope and pray you enjoyed a GREAT show! and that you'll fill us all in on your adventure.

    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just adore your Zentangles and this owl has to be one of my favorites! ~Diane

    ReplyDelete