Total Pageviews

Tuesday 15 April 2014

Easter Chicks - Tuesday 15th April 2014

Good afternoon Friends!

So far I have featured lots of bunnies in my Easter cards, but not so many chickens...well rest assured I have been making some and  I am going to start by putting that right today with two cards featuring stamps by Inky Doodles and Magnolia (the larger stamp in the second card)...

For the first card I did take inspiration in arranging the hens like this from a  card in Inky Doodle gallery on their website. I embossed the card using a chicken wire mark and then inked over with mustard seen distress ink. The eggs and greeting are from the same stamp set and the images were coloured with Promarkers



I created the second card as an example when we used the Triple Layered technique in our workshop last month.  I stamped the hens on to three layers of patterned card by Pink Petticoat and then matted and layered on to yellow card stock.

The greeting and larger hen were both stamped on to polka dot paper from Pink Petticoat. I also decorated inside with the polka for paper but didn't photograph it (you can just catch a glimpse).

Whilst on the subject of chickens, we had some sad news when we dropped our girls off at the farm for their own little holiday last Friday. I was telling the owner about Penny and how eventually we would have more Orpingtons and he told me that they had lost the two hens that were their breeding stock to a fox. One of them was Penny's mum...the Cockerel (Penny's Daddy) was traumatised but spared, probably because he is as big as a fox anyway. He will have to carefully source some more stock now, buy he himself has been working less hours and letting the helpers do more for the past year because his wife has been very poorly and they have two young children. I felt so sorry for him, because he works so hard and it's a lovely place. Here's hoping things start looking up now she has finished her treatment.

I know some of you said yesterday that you would like to see more of what was in those bags from the show on Saturday...well fear not...all will be revealed on my WOYWW desk tomorrow!

Thanks for stopping by!

Love and Hugs,
Carole X

11 comments:

  1. Brilliant cards Carol, subject very close to your heart I would say.
    Glad your hens enjoyed their break.
    Looking forward to tomorrow's post
    Hugs

    Patricia xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both cards are so cute Carole, I adore the polka dot stamping. Definitely want to see the stash, lol. xx Flora

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I do love those chicken cards Carole, they are fabulous! Your news from the farm is just so sad... what a shame, I can only wish them well.

    Look forward to tomorrow! Hugs, Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Carole, Ooh really looking forward to the stash reveal tomorrow :) I never ever think of stamping directly onto patterned paper, it terrifies me a bit. But this is the second time today I've seen someone do it and do it well. Did you stamp the chickens before cutting the squares or after? Ha ha chicken or squares which came first! Cx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! ...You cut the three patterned squares in three sizes to mat and layer, then you layer them up (holding them together with a tiny bit of double-sided in the middle..and stamp across all three layers. Then you mat and layer each one on plain card, so I guess in this case the squares before the chickens lololol xx

      Delete
  5. So sorry for your friends it sounds as if they have had their share of hard times. : (

    I just love both cards but I admit the second card is my fav!! that style seems to multiply the chickens!! like by framing them in that was it makes your eye see more! Love it!!

    Can't wait for he reveal tomorrow!! woo hoo!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Carole love your two chicken cards. So sorry to hear of your friends ill health, we will be positive and hope she gets back to good health soon. As for those foxs they are horrible, half the time they just kill every thing and don't even take them to feed themselves, it's the heart ache that people suffer when their animals are killed. The farmers round here are having a hard time with all their lambs and the foxes. Hazel xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your fabulous Easter cards Carole..so sorry to hear of your friends ill health. and their visit from Mr fox....nature is so cruel at times

    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous cards, I love the chickens and bright yellow. The embossed chicken wire looks so effective!
    Rebecca.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great technique Carole and I love your Easter chickens! Nature is cruel, but I guess that's the way it goes unfortunately no matter how sad. My friend lost a couple of her young geese to a fox a few years ago and she was terribly upset - I was sorry they had been killed but still not sure how it happened because they were pretty vicious creatures! HUgs Christine xx

    ReplyDelete