Total Pageviews

Saturday 19 July 2014

Fairy Dreams - Saturday 19th July

Good morning Friends,

Well I certainly didn't sleep through last nights thunder and lightening, I think the last time I saw anything so spectacular that lasted so long was in Italy several years ago....in fact it's still rumbling on as I type this at about 8.30am! We aren't the only ones though, my dear friend Paola who lives near Venice sent me a photo she'd take the other day of hailstones that literally were the size of golf balls!

Today I am back with another 'Lavinia' card,  which I would like to enter in the following challenge:

Scrapology: Dreams and Delights, July Challenge







 What I love about Lavinia( apart from the images) is creating the backgrounds (though I do have a monotone one still to share with you!). For this card I used my brayer and the following inks to create the background:

Distress: Chipped Sapphire, Dusty Concord, Seedless Preserves
Adirondack: Currant, Purple Twilight

To stamp the fairy and foliage I used Black Onyx Versafine ink, shadow stamping for background image effect.

The card is an 8x8 deckle edge, matted and layered using shades of lilac and purple card from Paper Mill. To finish I added stickles glitter and a little bow.




I thought you might also like to see these two candles I made as demos when we did our recent workshop using Lavinia stamps. The technique is really easy and I did explain it in a recent nautical DT post for Sam Poole, which most of you will have seen...here it is briefly again:

You need:

Pillar candle (mine cost about £1 in a local supermarket!)
White tissue paper - the kind you wrap presents with
Wax kitchen paper
stamps of your choice
ink
heat tool

All you do is stamp your image on the the tissue paper; these stamps are just black, but if you are using a stamp you want to colour, you can use any of your colouring pens, such as Promarkers. All you need remember is that it will transfer lighter than it looks on paper, so use darker colours.

I used Versafine for these candles and Memento for stamps I colour. I've tried different inks and they've all worked well.

Once you have stamped your image, cut or tear around it carefully, then place it where you want it on your candle. 

Take your wax paper, it needs to be long enough to wrap around the candle with enough left to form a 'handle' for you to hold at the back. Take a tight grip and then transfer the image to the candle using your heat tool..voila! You have a pretty candle, which you can decorate with ribbons, beads, whatever you like.

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving a comment! Is anyone doing anything nice today? We are going to a Rat Pack show in Bristol tonight (my Mum was a big Sinatra and Dino fan and the music rubbed off on me!), but it's the Harbour Festival, so we were planning a nice afternoon stroll at the festival, a meal...and after all this wonderful weather and almost 9am, it's as dark as can be and pouring with rain! Such a shame for all the organisers and participants as it's probably Bristol's biggest annual event, along with  the Balloon Fiesta.

have a good day, whatever you are doing!

Love and Hugs,
Carole X 

15 comments:

  1. Oh wow Carole this is an awesome gift set and the card really transforms one to a land of make belief.
    Hugs
    Desíre
    {Doing Life – my personal blog}

    ReplyDelete
  2. Morning Carole,
    Stunning card, and the candles are beautiful too. Have a good day hope the weather clears for the festival.
    Lydia
    X

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful card Carole, I love the colours and the great use of your stamps.
    Candles are brilliant as well.
    Have a great weekend

    Patricia x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such an adorable card, cute image and lovely colour combo's and Carole as far as the candles, well they are just 'WOW' I have not attempted these but one day I hope to...they are just super........hope you are enjoying your weekend...
    The Journey is the Start

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh such a pity for the rain! I hope it clears off quickly! My Mom was a big Sinatra fan as well : )

    I love how you create such dreamy scenes with the brayer. I rarely ink mine up anymore - I really should bring it out again.

    Thank you for the tutorial on the candles again I need to try this ; )

    Have fun no matter what you are doing.

    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are all quite beautiful, love the first one with the beautiful background too. ~Diane

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful card and your candles are lovely, Hazel xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful card and card and your candles are lovely. Hazel x

    ReplyDelete
  9. No consolation but we were up from 4 am onwards, I have not seen a storm like that for years, I thought it was all a bit scary and I normally like thunder and lightening!

    Your card is beautiful Carole, those silhouette images are delightful and your candles are just beautiful, I love the sparkly wings particularly - wonderful work, as always! Hope you enjoyed the Rat Pack show, I have just been enjoying Live at Edinburgh Castle - I just adore Il Divo and they had Smokey Robinson too..... Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. morning Carole.....just love your gorgeous card and candles....stunning colours on your card and the candles make a beautiful gift that matches the card...

    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Carole,
    superb card and candles.
    What fab designing and stamping.
    We also had the stunning thunder storms too.
    Hope it didn't frighten the hens too much.
    Lots of crafty love. Jenny L.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your works of art are always so breathtaking, Carole, and so impeccably made! The background on your card is perfection! Thank you for sharing how to do the candles!! I hope those violent storms are gone by now! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Carole

    A very magical card .. .. and your candles look gorgeous too. Something I have never tried. Might have to put that to rights one day .. .. certainly no shortage of candles here to try out on .. .. I am a little obsessed with them LOL!!

    Hope you enjoyed the Rat Pack. Two of our friends were going to Bristol for the weekend .. .. I wonder if they went too?

    Have a good week.

    Love Jules xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful Carole, love the card and the candles are magical.
    Thank-you for joining in the Scrapology Challenge this month :)
    Linda
    x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Absolutely stunning, I really love these magical cards you create and the candles look amazing too! Your blended backgrounds are so perfect.
    Rebecca.

    ReplyDelete