Total Pageviews

Sunday 9 November 2014

Remembrance - Sunday 9th November 2014

Good Morning Friends,

My post today is a little card I made for Remembrance Sunday..it's just a simple poppy, but that was the idea, I wanted the poppy to stand out; the splashes of red are to signify Flanders Fields. I have to be honest, I'm not happy with the photo (too little time to concentrate to get it posted for today) and if I get a chance I may replace the photo at some point!

I painted the background using distress inks as watercolours. The poppy is from Poppy Meadows stamp set by Indigo Blu. I stamped it with Versafine as it is quite a detailed stamp and then heat embossed with clear powder. I also painted it with distress inks and just to the poppy head, I added glossy accents, although it doesn't show in the photo.






Whilst we reflect on the brave men and women who have given their lives for their Country right up to the present day, I also wanted to share with you something we have been doing at work....some of you know that I manage a Volunteer Centre, where we promote and help people into voluntary work.

Back in September we decided to have an event for people who may want to volunteer just small amounts of time..micro volunteering. There are lots of ways to do this, most of them using social media, but one of them(close to my heart of course) is crafting and quite a few charities collect crafted items such as (for example) blankets for  premature  babies and at the opposite end of the spectrum, animal shelters. We had a drop off point through to the end of last month for people who wanted to join in with Age UK's Big Knit and we also collected cards for RAF personnel.

When I started tweeting several years ago(something else I seem to have little time for now), I connected with a group of crafters. I am still in touch with most of them via Facebook and several of us  have met in the past at the NEC craft show. One of them is a lady called Cazz Wright. Cazz has been collecting cards for RAF Blue Witch Squadron, serving  in Afghanistan, for some years now. We decided to hold a card drive through September and I can't begin to tell you how overwhelmed we were with the response.

In remote places the servicemen and women can't  just go out to the shops and buy cards to send home, so these cards were there for them in their NAAFI. Cazz has now had to stop her scheme for personal reasons and mostly because the Squadron's work over there is done and she hadn't been able to get a new address to carry on sending cards for all serving RAF personnel, which had been the intention .

Our collection was the last to be sent to them and in just one month we collected 70 cards. They were dropped in to the office by local people who saw our posters and local news articles; some of my group at our craft class gave me some and one of my fellow Teamie friends from Creative Studios, Jackie, sent some fabulous cards. Cazz was thrilled and wanted me to say a big thank you. 


Thank you for stopping by, I hope we can all take time to reflect today and wear our poppies with pride,

I will be back tomorrow, revisiting aRemembrance themed card, which I originally posted last year.

I would also like to enter this card in the current Allsorts Challenge week 284 , which has the theme of Poppies/Remembrance -
http://allsortschallenge.blogspot.co.uk/2014/11/week-284-poppiesremembrance_8.html


Love and Hugs,
Carole X

l

14 comments:

  1. Beautiful card today Carole and I can see that the poppy is glossy. Well done to all who donated the cards and the organisation.x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stunning card Carole, lovely glossy poppy , beautiful image and delightful colours.
    aNNie xx


    The Journey is the Start

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Carole this is a gorgeous card I love poppies anyway but at this time of year they are so much more poignant. My husband's father is taking part in Songs of Praise today which is being broadcast live at the Garrison church in Aldershot. He is being interviewed by Bill Turnball. We are very proud of him he is 90 and a veteran of D-Day. If you want me to make any more cards for appeals just let me know. Hugs Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Carole,
    what a really superb card for Remembrance Sunday.
    I love this very fab creation it's perfect, and that poppy is amazing and a very beautifully created background too.
    Lots of crafty love. Jenny L.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A beautiful card and a wonderful post today Carole. How lovely too that people donated so many cards - well done! Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Carole, a besutiful card , yes we owe so much to those who gave up their life's for us. Hazel xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Carole,

    What a beautiful card!! I love the amazing coloring you did. : )

    I am impressed with all the cards you gals collected! Such a wonderful cause!!

    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  8. Classy and elegant and such depth of colour Carole.

    I am so pleased you joining in our Poppy theme at Allsorts this week with your lovely work.

    B x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful rememberance card Carole & well done on collecting so many cards for the RAF.
    Catch up soon
    Amy x

    ReplyDelete
  10. what a nice cause and pretty card as well...would love to know the meaning for the poppies on this day, I will post a card tomorrow at my blog for veterans day here in the USA...and I mention this "point"
    cheers from california
    bibiana

    ReplyDelete
  11. Absolutely beautiful card Carole, I love the scene you've created. Thank you for joining us at Allsorts this week x

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm playing catch-up Carole. This is a lovely poppy. Simplicity often tells more of the story. Fabulous collection of cards. Hugs Christine xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a lovely card Carole, the colours are so beautiful!
    Rebecca.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful card so meaningful and a very pretty poppy.
    Thank you for sharing at Allsorts 'Poppies/Remembrance' challenge this week and good luck x Susan x

    ReplyDelete